Karma Yoga Immersion Course
The Art of Presence
A 12-Week Journey into the Heart of Service
Hridaya’s Karma Yoga Immersion Course is consecrated to deepening the understanding of the yoga of action, Karma Yoga. It is a deeply spiritual process that aims to transcend personal psychological and physical limitations in order to dissolve resistance and face the identification with tendencies and habitual patterns.
This course is offered as a space for those who have a longing to cultivate or deepen their awareness in a spiritual context. The capacity to remain present during various life situations is something that can be developed and is the direct result of spiritual investigation. For this to happen, it is necessary to build a solid understanding of what awareness is and to cultivate a strong aspiration to transcend common ways of reacting.
The Karma Yoga Immersion Course offers participants a period of 12 weeks of introspection and the chance to actualize profound transformations through the direct method of Self-Inquiry.
Such periods of stepping away from everyday environments and routines must be long enough for reactive tendencies to be thoroughly and regularly seen and questioned—and gradually replaced with a different approach to life. Bringing intense awareness to every action, via a proper spiritual understanding, is called Karma Yoga.
This course is based on the non-dual teachings of Hridaya Yoga. Due to its intensity, it is meant for those beings who have an earnest aspiration for truth and freedom and are willing to selflessly serve while diving deep into the Spiritual Heart via Self-Inquiry, atma vichara, as taught by Ramana Maharshi.
The main aim of the program is to develop the stability of the Self-Inquiry practice in everyday life situations—whether practiced on the mat or in “the market.” For this, we develop a strong foundation of resting in the Heart based on four pillars:
- A deep trust in the Heart, based on understanding and experience
- The anchoring in the sacredness felt in the Heart Center, as described by Ramana Maharshi
- Resting in the recognition of the “I am”-feeling
- Awareness of the present moment
Of course, these pillars are all ultimately the same.
The process of this course facilitates an awakening to spontaneity and availability to life through constant surrender to Presence, which is an expression of the natural state. This is an intimate celebration of life in the present moment. Participants perceive a progressive purification of the identification with the personal domain.
Karma Yoga Immersion Course Program Details
The course unfolds over a 12-week period. The program consists of daily meditation, Hatha Yoga, lectures on various topics that support the understanding of Karma Yoga, heart circles that enable a deepening understanding, and daily service activities performed in the spirit of Karma Yoga. Participants also learn via specific challenges related to leadership and surrender. Hridaya Yoga teachers guide the process and participants are counseled as needed.
During the Karma Yoga Immersion Course, the syllabus of the Hridaya Yoga Retreat: Module 1 Intensive is covered, with the various topics explored in great detail. We constantly match understanding and knowledge with personal experience and development. For example, we investigate the yama ahimsa (non-violence) in a direct, experiential way via Self-Inquiry. Such inquiry is supported by group reflection, personal challenges, journaling, and discussions.
Topics from higher Hridaya Hatha Yoga modules and other supplementary teachings are also shared during the course to develop various aspects—mental concentration, purification of the emotional-mental domains, transmutation into awareness, etc.
Additionally, each participant in the Karma Yoga Immersion Course attends two 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreats. After each retreat, the program offers space for participants to process insights and experiences within the group and provides immediate guidance to support the direct application of the teachings in daily life.
During the program, the group develops an intimate friendship as a spiritual family. A space of confidentiality and vulnerability is encouraged so that deeper patterns can be uncovered, shared, and processed in a safe place.
Additional Program Activities That Support Self-Inquiry
- Studying and practicing Nonviolent Communication
- Taking group tapas (systematic and challenging spiritual practices)
- Discussing and exploring aspects of the yamas and niyamas and the 14 Hridaya Attitudes
- Participating in Heart Circles
- Engaging in weekly tests and challenges to open to more authentic living
- Participating in special lectures and discussions on topics related to selfless service
- Taking time for contemplation and discovery, constantly integrating lessons into daily life through journaling, discussions, and actions
- 3.5-hour morning session including meditation, Hatha Yoga, and group discussion
- 4 hours of supported formal Karma Yoga service (5 days per week)
- 2-hour evening lecture
This 12-week immersion program is available for the low price of $1650 USD. This fee includes basic dormitory accommodation, healthy vegan meals*, all course sessions, and individual guidance from experienced teachers. Any special meals, activities, trips, etc. are not included.
*Two meals per day are served Monday–Saturday during each module cycle and three meals every day during retreats. No dinner is served on check-in days.
The course is an invitation to those who have a deep spiritual longing and are looking to develop a more profound understanding of Self-Inquiry. Even if new to Self-Inquiry, it is important that applicants are keenly interested in spiritual practice and have an openness to and a fascination about the mystery of life. Applicants should have a deep calling for selfless service or an interest in discovering and developing this capacity. It is also vital that they have the willingness and interest to test personal limitations and go beyond personal comfort zones.
Whether or not applicants have taken the Hridaya Yoga Retreat: Module 1 Intensive is irrelevant, as this 12-week course offers the opportunity to investigate everything deeper. Therefore, it is helpful if applicants have completed Module 1, but it is not a prerequisite.
Entry into the program is only by interview with a Hridaya teacher.
Have a question?
Click Apply Now to access the application for the next Karma Yoga Immersion Course. If no course is listed, the program is not currently scheduled. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- This course is held at our center in Mazunte, Mexico.
- The dates listed above are for accommodation. The course begins with an orientation session on the date of arrival and ends the day before departure. More information will be provided upon registration.
- Please read our Coronavirus Safety Guidelines before applying.
- Hridaya Yoga is a non-profit organization. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to practice, which is why we keep our prices low. If the rates still exceed your budget, you are welcome to apply for our low-income discount. If your need is even greater, you may request a scholarship.