The Community Development Department’s goal of integrating the Hridaya Yoga Center with the local Mexican community has been rapidly gaining momentum. This interconnection was part of Sahajananda’s founding vision, and as the school has grown since its inception in 2012, so too has our capacity to reach out to our neighbors. With the help of sangha members such as Dee, Alba, Beata, and Sunny, our Community Development Department has created relationships with members of the local community that have expanded our understanding of the culture and allowed us to begin to share the non-dual teachings that we hold so dear.
We seek to:
- Create strong relationships with the local community, touching their hearts by showing interest in and care for their lives.
- Share the teachings of the Heart. This sharing can be formal (classes) as well as informal (modeling what it means to “Live with an Open Heart”).
Our Current Activities
- Weekly Hatha Yoga drop-in classes in Spanish
- Classes on the Hridaya Teachings at the local middle school
- An intensive English course for adults
- Educational workshops for local lifeguards
- PET recycling campaign (in collaboration with San Agustinillo Primary School)
- Seva Day tequios (service projects in the local community)