- Hridaya Teacher Training Course period: September 26-December 17, 2020
- Application deadline: April 30th
- HTTC full payment deadline: August 15th
In 2020, the Hridaya Teacher Training Course (HTTC) is taking place for the first time at Hridaya Yoga France in Saint Just D’Avray, Longeval, France. The HTTC is a systematic and comprehensive approach to meditation and Hatha Yoga.
The HTTC provides:
- Over 600 hours of accredited meditation and hatha yoga teacher training (the HTTC is registered with US-based Yoga Alliance, following standards for their 500-hour teacher training programs)
- All the Hridaya Teacher Training Course content, totaling more than 900 pages, presented in monthly booklets.
- An anatomy and physiology booklet
- At the end of the course, all graduates will receive the HTTC Kit. This contains an additional booklet with advice and recommendations for Hridaya teachers, some inspiring e-books by Ramana Maharshi, audio files of HTTC lectures, PowerPoint presentations to accompany the lectures, audio and video recordings of an entire 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat, and other useful materials.
The training includes the following subjects:
- A survey of the main meditation traditions throughout history—Theravada Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Zen, Christianity, Isihasm, Sufism, Hasidism, etc.
- The ABCs of meditation: proper postures for meditation, mudras for meditation, favorable moments for meditation, the importance of stretching and relaxation for meditation, benefits of meditation, etc.
- Pranayama for calming the mind: rhythmic breathing theory in pranayama, nadi shodhana for meditation, etc.
- An extensive presentation of and practical guidance in several kinds of meditation: atma vichara (the Self-Enquiry Method of Ramana Maharshi), mahamudra, and walking meditation.
- Practical guidelines for meditators: how to overcome hindrances during meditation, advice for meditators according to their dominant dosha (one of three bodily humors that make up the constitution according to Ayurvedic medicine), the phases of a meditation retreat, etc.
- The stages of deep meditation (the 8 jhanas) according to the Buddhist tradition
- The spiritual benefits of Dark Room Retreats (kaya kalpa) from the Advaita Vedanta perspective
- Extensive explanations of Ramana Maharshi’s teachings, including Self-Enquiry (atma vichara), The Spiritual Heart, Bringing the “I”-feeling back to its source, sphurana, etc.
- Hridaya Yoga—metaphysical principles and basic concepts,including: Hridaya Hatha Yoga, the Spiritual Heart’s significance, mastering the four fundamental attitudes of Hridaya Meditation, surrender (a fundamental key on the path of Self-revelation), spanda, the “Sacred Tremor of the Heart” (a concept from Kashmir Shaivism used in Hridaya Meditation), the gaps between thoughts, Open Concepts, Open Attention, etc.
- Commentaries on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- About samadhi (cosmic states of consciousness)—criteria for identifying different states of samadhi and proper attitudes to experience them
- The study of the effects of physical and subtle light (phosphenes) on the mind
- The study of Advaya Taraka Upanishad. The relationship between Light and Consciousness
- The connection between brainwaves and states of consciousness
- Reflexive consciousness—Studies on awareness during sleep
- The 4 states of consciousness according to Yoga
- Cultivating the proper attitudes for a sahridaya life (a life full of enthusiasm and joy)—transforming daily life into a proper tool for Self-revelation
- Methods to increase concentration: trataka, etc.
- Methods for developing awareness: Capturing the Uncaught Mind, micro-practices, the ultra-slowing of physical and mental activities, etc.
- Methods for awakening the Heart: Blowing upon the Embers of the Heart, Tonglen, etc.
- Methods for developing creativity and intuition
The Hridaya Teacher Training Course also includes:
- Anatomy and physiology classes
- Hridaya teaching methodology: how to teach Hridaya concepts, how to teach Hridaya Hatha Yoga, etc.
- Practicum training—3 practice teaching sessions for each participant
- Hridaya Retreat training—participation in two 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreats led by Sahajananda
- Individual evaluation and coaching from Sahajananda
- Group coaching with experienced Hridaya teachers
- Experiments and meditations with a Brain Machine
- The experience of 36 hours of Dark Room Retreat (kaya kalpa)—meditation in complete darkness
Successful completion of this 500-hour course grants participants permission to teach Hridaya Meditation and Hatha Yoga anywhere, with support materials and guidance provided.
This course is open to a maximum of 33 participants.
To apply, please submit this Application Form, including a recent photo of yourself.
If spaces are available in the course one month prior to the closing of enrollment, hopeful participants on the waiting list will be notified that they may join the HTTC.
The tution fee is €2,800.
The tuition fee along with accommodation and meal options may be paid on approval of your application and no later than August 15th.
For complete information regarding fees, please visit our Payment and Refund Guidelines page.
Schedule, Food, and Accommodation
The HTTC will be held six days per week, Monday to Saturday, approximately 8.5 class hours per day.
Vegan food is served in our dining room daily for a reasonable price. The communal eating area is open for everyone to enjoy meals together.
There is a variety of accommodation on-site at our château. For the TTC, we are offering a 30% discount on our accommodation and food prices:
- Dorm accommodation (4-6 people): €750
- Shared room accommodation (2-3 people): €1,400
- Private single room accommodation: €2,450
- Private double/twin room accommodation (with shared bathroom): €2,700
- Private double/twin room accommodation (with private bathroom): €3,850
- Full meal plan: €1,160
Indicative Full Package Price (Dorm Option): €4,720 (incl Hridaya Yoga France Membership Fee €10)
For off-site accommodation, we currently have the following two options available:
- Two recently refurbished studio-apartments are available in the nearby village of St Just d’Avray, each for €1,800 for the duration of the TTC. Please click here for apartment and contact details.
- For other potential properties available to rent in the local area, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific requirements and he will be happy to assist in locating the best rental for you.
Important aspects regarding the HTTC application process:
- We require participation in at least one 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat and the completion of the Hridaya Yoga Retreat: Module 1 Intensive prior to applying for the course.
- The selection process will begin after the April 30th application deadline and may include an interview with Sahajananda or other senior Hridaya teacher.
- The selection process will end on May 21st. Those who are not selected for admission at that time will be placed on the waiting list. As some of those accepted to the course may choose to withdraw, applicants on the waiting list still have a chance to join the HTTC.
- Applications may still be submitted up to one month before the HTTC begins. However, after the initial selection process there will be significantly less of a chance for acceptance to the course.
- The approval to join one year’s waiting list does not confer automatic acceptance to a future Hridaya Teacher Training Course. In such cases, the applicant is welcome to reapply for a future course.
Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information.