Welcome Desk Assistant
The Welcome Desk is the first point of contact for most Hridaya Yoga students and therefore plays a vital role in receiving new people to the Hridaya Community. The thoughtful and loving attitude of the Welcome Desk Assistants encourages more and more people to join Hridaya courses and begin to discover their Divine Essence. Though a paid position, the Welcome Desk Assistant performs their job in the spirit of Karma Yoga, selfless service for the benefit of others.
The Welcome Desk Assistant is responsible for providing friendly, welcoming, and efficient service to all Hridaya students. Working under the direction of the Registration Manager, the main tasks of the Welcome Desk Assistant involve booking students for courses, meals, and accommodation and responding promptly and courteously to other inquiries. The Welcome Desk Assistant aspires to live with an Open Heart and models the Hridaya Yoga attitudes when dealing with all members of the community.
- Receive new students by greeting them warmly, helping them go through the registration/payment process and accommodation check-in, and attending to their inquiries
- Administer all routes of reservations to ensure that bookings are made and recorded accurately and invoiced correctly
- Take payments from students and record them precisely in our accounting systems
- Ensure that all cancellations and refunds are processed efficiently
- Build good relationships with students and address any complaints in a courteous and caring manner
- Perform general office duties, including answering the telephone, responding to emails, filing, recording information in the database, restocking the shop, etc.
- Assist in keeping the Registration Kiosk clean and tidy at all times
- Maintain attendance records for courses and update the database with new student information and attendance data
- Keep an inventory of items in the shop and copies of printed course materials, communicating with the Registration Manager when these need to be replenished
- Assist in managing the school library, taking deposits and recording borrowed items
- Keep up-to-date with pricing, policies, and special offers to provide accurate information to students
- Communicate with the Kitchen Manager and/or Dining Room Staff in order to ensure proper booking of meals
- Be a resource for students in regards to orienting them to activities in the area and other logistics
- Maintain school notice boards to inform the whole community of upcoming events
- Assist the Marketing Department with campaigns related to new students
- Communicate effectively with the other members of the Registration Team and Hridaya Yoga Management and Staff
- At least 1 year of experience working the front desk at a hotel, spa, or equivalent
- Interest in practicing yoga and meditation and the desire to be a part of a blossoming spiritual community
- Willingness to make a 6-cycle minimum commitment
- Confident using Excel and other computer programs/online software for bookings and accounting (knowledge of particular software not needed, but the ability to quickly learn new things is essential)
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Proven customer service skills, a friendly and professional manner
- Ability to deal with complaints with love and detachment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- The ability to lead, follow, take initiative, and take direction and the discernment to know when each is appropriate
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and attention to detail
- An interest in supporting the center as a place of retreat for yourself and others
- The ability to differentiate between your role in supporting the work of Hridaya Yoga and your own personal objectives
- A spirit of service, the ability to step up and perform whatever task is necessary for the good of the whole, the willingness to work flexible hours on occasion
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain calm under pressure
- Responsible, trustworthy, patient, humble
- Open-hearted, communicative, personable, enthusiastic
- Aspiration, the commitment to your own spiritual transformation
Commitments and Benefits
This role is a full-time position (5-6 hours per day, 5 days per week), being open to working additional hours to support special events or when the need arises.
Please note that the Hridaya Yoga Center is a non-smoking and drug-free facility. We cannot accept volunteers with alcohol issues, who currently smoke (including tobacco and plant medicine) or use any form of recreational drug.
Our benefits package includes
- Stipend of $5,000 MXN per month
- Two communal meals per day (brunch and dinner), Monday to Saturday, during modules for the duration of your service period. During retreats, you will receive three communal meals per day, every day. Note: no meals are served on the Monday rest day following retreats. Only breakfast and lunch are served on check-in days (immediately prior to the beginning of modules and retreats).
- The accrual of 2 vacation days per month
- Paid time off to participate in two 10-Day Hridaya silent meditation retreats
- Participation in two Hridaya Yoga Modules
- In addition, serving a noble purpose and living in the presence of those who share the same spiritual values and have similar aspirations for Truth and Awareness is an ineffable, unforgettable gift.
Being a student and serving at the Hridaya Yoga Center is a unique opportunity to learn authentic approaches to meditation and Hatha Yoga in a very safe, nurturing environment. If you don’t feel a calling for inner transformation, please don’t apply. It would be a pity to take the place of someone who is genuinely longing for such a path. Similarly, if a contemplative style of Hatha Yoga doesn’t resonate with you, please don’t apply.
Karma Yoga Retreat
During the Karma Yoga Program, you will fully participate in two 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat and serve in four other retreats. We call time spent serving during retreats the “Karma Yoga Retreat.” In the Karma Yoga Retreat, you will be immersed in the retreat environment and experience the best conditions for service by maintaining noble silence while at the Hridaya Yoga Center. The stillness that this cultivates profoundly supports both the 10-day retreat participants and those serving them.
To deepen this process, the Karma Yoga Retreat includes daily Hridaya Meditations and Hatha Yoga, live audio streaming of the silent retreat, and hours of Karma Yoga supporting the silent retreat participants. Also, throughout the retreat you will be introduced to specific topics related to the practice of Karma Yoga, applying them during your time spent serving.
The Karma Yoga Retreat is a beautiful way to practice awareness, detachment, and love not only in formal meditation and Hatha Yoga, but also through action—which is the core of Karma Yoga. In this way, what is cultivated through meditation and Hatha Yoga is integrated into all aspects of your life. Serving in the Karma Yoga Retreat, you can connect with the natural love and joy that arises from offering yourself and your actions for the benefit of others and all of existence.
Karma Yogis can expect to serve 5 hours per day, 5 days per week in one of the following fields: Kitchen, Maintenance, Welcome Desk, Accommodation, and Marketing. In addition to formal working hours, Karma Yogis play an integral part in welcoming new students and holding a friendly space in the community.
Hridaya Yoga aligns with the traditional yogic view that inner transformation is based on consistent spiritual practice. Hridaya Meditation is a form of Self-Enquiry, and in our school, it is the main tool to reconnect with the infinite depth and intimacy of our being. While living in our joyful Hridaya Community in itself may appeal to you, we strongly believe that without a daily spiritual practice of meditation and Hatha Yoga—on a background of awareness—the purification of the subconscious mind, psychological healing, and spiritual freedom cannot happen. Without constant Self-awareness (and the meditation practice that leads to it), there cannot be any real success in any field of life. Such fulfillment ultimately means performing a harmonious and efficient action, without being bound by it.
Therefore, daily (Monday to Saturday) participation in our one-hour morning Hridaya Meditation is an important part of your commitment as a Karma Yogi. This shouldn’t be seen as a compulsory rule but as a support for your commitment to inner transformation. When the reconnection with the Heart happens, such commitment becomes effortless and natural, bringing stability and trust in your real being.
In order to support Self-awareness, we honor noble silence at the Hridaya Yoga Center every morning until 11:30 am. This means avoiding both inner mental chatter and outer talking. Of course, sometimes speaking is necessary in order to harmoniously perform our tasks. In such cases, we whisper.
Work Exchange versus Karma Yoga
Please note that there is a big difference between work exchange and Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga means the yoga of action done with awareness, detachment, and Love. You will be honored and served at the school (by teachers, Karma Yogis, and other community members) and you should feel inspired to serve with the same spirit and dedication.
To apply, please send your résumé or CV and a letter of intent describing how your skills align with the position to email@example.com.