Hridaya Yoga Kitchen Coordinator Job Description
The purpose of Hridaya Yoga’s kitchen is to serve our students tasty vegan meals that best support them as they participate in yoga and meditation courses. A gathering place for the community, the kitchen is a hive of activity and interconnection, a place where people practice integrating spirituality into daily life. As such, its proper management is vital in supporting aspirants on the path of the Spiritual Heart. Though in a paid position, the Kitchen Coordinator performs their job in the spirit of Karma Yoga, selfless service for the benefit of others.
The Kitchen Coordinator is responsible for the harmonious functioning of our kitchen, in accordance with the Hridaya Vision. This includes stabilizing and implementing a menu that creates optimal conditions for spiritual practice. It also includes food purchasing, receiving, and preparation, as well as maintaining quality standards for safety, sanitation, and cleanliness. The Kitchen Coordinator works with, supports, and oversees a team of staff and volunteers in order to create the best dining experience possible for our students and community members.
- Overseeing a team of volunteers and staff to prepare meals according to our meal plan for yoga modules and meditation retreats, ensuring our students a balanced, sattvic diet
- Working with the Karma Yoga Coordinator to recruit volunteer kitchen staff for ongoing positions as well as for short-term positions during meditation retreats and other busy periods
- Training, scheduling, and managing kitchen staff; leading weekly kitchen team meetings, attending bi-monthly Coordinator’s Meetings
- Purchasing food and supplies and keeping accurate financial records; checking inventory on a monthly basis
- Controlling the budget and ensuring that costs fall within projected levels
- Serving as a shift leader in at least 4 food preparation periods per week; filling in as needed during busy periods and to support efficient operations
- Setting the tone for the kitchen, resolving staff conflicts, rallying the team during busy shifts, inspiring service and attention to safety, regularly communicating kitchen guidelines and policies
- Establishing high food safety standards and training all kitchen staff in appropriate ways to prepare, store, and dispose of food; training all staff in standards for cleanliness and sanitation
- Reducing waste by preparing appropriate quantities, ensuring correct serving size, and reusing leftovers whenever possible
- Ensuring that the entire kitchen area (including appliances and cooking equipment) is cleaned on a regular schedule and that all equipment is well-maintained and kept in excellent working condition
- Maintaining good relationships with vendors and seeking new vendors as needed to assure quality and improve profitability
- Managing the creation of an organic food sourcing strategy so that fresh and healthy produce can be acquired while helping support the local community
- Supporting and driving the improvement of kitchen operations on all levels, collaborating with Hridaya Management on this vision
- Implementing Karma Yoga best practices (consecrations, Heart Circles, etc.)
- Meditation and yoga practitioner (required), Hridaya Yoga experience (highly desirable)
- Ability to make a minimum 12-month commitment to the position
- A strong interest in and talent for vegan cooking
- Experience cooking for up to 150 people in a high-pressure, loosely structured kitchen (highly desirable)
- Ability to work according to a plan but not be attached to it; capacity to make quick, thoughtful decisions
- Good verbal communication skills in English and proficiency in Spanish (required)
- Excellent budgeting, numeracy, organizational, and scheduling skills
- Attention to detail, the ability to accurately record income and expenses
- Stamina, the ability to stand for many hours near hot cooking elements; the ability to to reach, bend, stoop, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to effectively communicate with and manage a variety of people from different backgrounds
- High standards of hygiene and thorough knowledge of food safety protocols
- Experience working in a fast-paced setting while remaining calm
- Honesty, trustworthiness, friendliness, maturity, discernment
- The ability to lead, follow, take initiative, and take direction and the discernment to know when each is appropriate
- A spirit of service, the ability to step up and perform whatever task is necessary for the good of the whole
- The ability to differentiate between your role in supporting the work of Hridaya Yoga and your own personal objectives
- Aspiration, the commitment to your own spiritual transformation
- The desire to be a part of a Heart-centered spiritual community
Work Hours and Benefits:
The Kitchen Coordinator works full-time (5 days per week, approximately 7 hours per day) and is open to serving additional hours to support special events or when the need arises.
Please note that the Hridaya Yoga Center is a non-smoking and drug-free facility. We cannot accept staff with alcohol issues, who currently smoke (including tobacco and plant medicine), or who use any form of recreational drug.
Our benefits package includes:
- Stipend (amount depends on experience and length of commitment)
- Communal brunch and dinner Monday-Saturday during yoga module cycles and daily during meditation retreats
- The accrual of 2 vacation days per month
- Paid time off to participate in one 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat after each 3 months of service
- Paid time off to participate in one 3-day workshop every 6 months
- Free enrollment in the Hridaya Yoga Modules (attendance may be flexible and must be coordinated around the administrative workload)
- After a minimum of 4 months of service, the Kitchen Coordinator is eligible for a free 3-day stay in the Hridaya Yoga Dark Room (the time off will count against accrued vacation days)
- In addition, serving a noble purpose and living in the presence of those who share the same spiritual values and a similar aspiration for Truth and Awareness is an ineffable, unforgettable gift
The ideal start date for this position is November 1, 2020.
To apply, please send your résumé or CV and a letter of intent describing how your skills align with the position to our Karma Yoga Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.