Karma Yoga Coordinator (Administration)
The Karma Yoga Coordinator (KYC) is integral in creating the conditions for a balanced, harmonious, and effective service environment at the Hridaya Yoga Center. Guided by the Hridaya Vision, the KYC supports the harmonious functioning of our various departments and plays an important strategic role in managing and overseeing the Karma Yoga Program. As our Karma Yogis are an essential and valued part of the backbone of the school, this position contributes greatly to the culture and direction of the community.
The role of KYC is usually filled by two people—a paid KYC who focuses primarily on the administrative needs of the department (as described below) and, ideally, a Preboard Member who focuses on holding space and providing spiritual and emotional support to Karma Yogis during their time in the program. The KYC and the supporting Preboard Member work closely together to ensure that the needs of the department are consistently met.
The KYC is responsible for the recruitment and support of Karma Yogis and is the link between the management team and the different departments of the school. The KYC manages the entire Karma Yogi hiring process (recruiting, receiving and responding to applications, interviewing, and hiring) and collaborates with other department coordinators and the management team to provide input on strategic planning. The KYC and the Program Department Coordinator have a very close working relationship, as these two departments are very interconnected. Recruitment is mainly based on a 3-cycle period.
- Recruiting, selecting, and hiring Karma Yogis
- Receiving, reviewing, and responding to all Karma Yoga Program applications
- Filtering applications to select candidates according to program prerequisites and to determine if the candidate is a good fit with the community and the Karma Yoga Program
- Interviewing appropriate candidates (interviews are conducted by the KYC and/or the supporting Preboard Member—ideally both—as well as the coordinator of the department with the open position)
- Making offers to chosen candidates and executing formal Karma Yogi agreements
- Cooperating with the Program Department Coordinator to recruit volunteers to serve in silent meditation retreats (retreats are supported by Karma Yogis, teachers, and volunteer students)
- Welcoming Karma Yogis
- Coordinating with the Welcome Desk to register new Karma Yogis for meals, accommodation, and courses (modules and retreats)
- Orienting all new Karma Yogis according to the arrival guidelines
- Providing ongoing support to Karma Yogis
- Being the go-to support person, providing both spiritual and personal assistance
- Scheduling one-on-one meetings between Karma Yogis and Hridaya teacher(s)
- Registering Karma Yogis for retreats and modules and monitoring attendance
- Supporting department coordinators in scheduling Karma Yogis
- Coordinating and scheduling Karma Yogi retreat participation (generally KYs participate in a retreat during the second cycle of their contract)
- Organizing and updating the Sangha Tracker
- Keeping track of Karma Yogi contract end dates and exit interviews (currently using Sangha Tracker)
- Other administrative responsibilities
- Working with the Head of Sangha to develop and improve tools to consistently log Karma Yoga Program data
- Maintaining the Karma Yoga Family, Hridaya Family Announcements, and Hridaya Family Chat on Facebook (adding new Karma Yogis and deleting Karma Yogis who have left each cycle)
- Sending reminders of events relevant to Karma Yogis via the Karma Yoga Family group on Facebook
- Assisting the Head of Business, Head of Sangha, and other relevant members of the administrative team with the hiring of new department coordinators
- Orienting new coordinators in the Hridaya values, supported by the Head of Sangha
- Supporting and driving the improvement of the Karma Yoga Program, in collaboration with Hridaya Management
- A qualified Hridaya teacher passionate about embodying the teachings of the Heart
HIGHLY DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent decision-making, strategic thinking, leadership, interpersonal, and ethical conduct skills
- High degree of fluency in English and the ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask, and attention to detail
- A spirit of service, a joy in stepping up and performing whatever task is necessary
- Highly empathetic, with the capacity to act from centeredness and presence (the KYC deals with many people each day, listening to their issues and challenges—whether Karma Yoga related or not; this requires the capacity to understand where a person is coming from and what their needs are—sometimes, they just need to get something off their chest and are looking for a listening ear and heart)
- Experience in training and professional development
- A willingness to work flexible hours
- The ability to work responsibly without a set schedule
- Confidence using Word, Excel, and other computer programs for compiling and sharing information
- The ability to deal with challenging situations with love and detachment
- Openness to fully supporting the Hridaya Vision, even if this means putting aside personal objectives
- The ability to lead, follow, take initiative, and take direction, and the discernment to know when each is appropriate
- A strong aspiration to represent the Hridaya teachings and community
- The ability to demonstrate charisma, enthusiasm, humility, maturity, honesty, and patience, and the awareness of the tenderness of the responsibilities of this position
COMMITMENTS AND BENEFITS
The KYC can expect to work full-time (5 days per week, approximately 6 hours per day) and will be open to working additional hours to support special events or when the need arises.
Please note that the Hridaya Yoga Center is a non-smoking and drug-free facility. We cannot accept volunteers with alcohol issues, who currently smoke (including tobacco and plant medicine), or who use any form of recreational drug.
Our benefits package includes:
- Stipend of $8,000 MXN minimum per month (to be negotiated based on experience and length of commitment)
- Brunch and dinner Monday-Saturday during module cycles and daily during retreats
- The accrual of 2 vacation days per month (eligibility for an additional month of paid leave when committing for at least 12 months)
- Paid time off to participate in one 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat every 3 course cycles
- Paid time off to participate in two 3-day workshops per year
- Complimentary enrollment in the Hridaya Yoga Modules (attendance may be flexible and must be coordinated around the administrative workload)
- After a minimum of 4 months of service, the KYC is eligible for a complimentary 3-day stay in the Hridaya Yoga Dark Room (the time off will count against accrued vacation days)
- In addition, serving a noble purpose and living in the presence of those who share the same spiritual values and have a similar aspiration for Truth and Awareness is an ineffable, unforgettable gift.
The ideal start date for this position is as soon as possible.
To apply, please send your résumé or CV and a letter of intent describing how your skills align with the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.