Hridaya Yoga Graphic Designer Job Description
Hridaya Yoga’s Graphic Designer supports our mission to share the teachings of the Spiritual Heart by producing visually appealing and brand-aligned designs, thus increasing Hridaya’s visibility. The Graphic Designer performs their job in the spirit of Karma Yoga, selfless service for the benefit of others.
The Graphic Designer reports to the Marketing Manager, supporting internal and external communications with beautiful artwork. The Graphic Designer works mindfully, efficiently, and with a consistently high standard to showcase everything that Hridaya offers.
- Design and develop marketing materials for local, national, and international campaigns as well as for internal communications such as signage.
- Apply creativity while maintaining the voice, look, and feel of Hridaya in all new design materials, including digital media.
- Design all graphics for the school, as requested and approved by the Marketing Manager or General Manager.
- Manage all design files, saving and archiving them per the Hridaya Data Storage Guidelines.
- Ensure all work is completed following our standards, supporting continuity and stability, the transition to new staff, and the long-term use of graphics by freelancers.
- Adhere to brand guidelines in all design materials and enhance the Hridaya Yoga profile.
- Provide strategic support for the look and feel of the Hridaya Yoga Center to ensure it is in line with the brand and well-presented.
The Graphic Designer works with the Marketing Manager in the design and delivery of elements used across Hridaya Yoga’s key media platforms.
- Preparing online and print marketing campaigns (posters, flyers, brochures, etc).
- Suggesting different styles for collaterals.
- Creating graphics to support Hridaya’s social media presence (including but not limited to photography, quotes, and event advertising materials).
- Designing digital elements for all online communications, including website assets, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Laying out and scaling photos, marking them with proper screen values for digital purposes and print reproduction.
- Collecting printed material and neatly putting up posters at the Hridaya Yoga Center and off-site locations per our distribution list.
- Removing out-of-date materials (supported by other Karma Yogis when possible).
- When necessary, conducting photography sessions to support graphic elements or stand-alone photography.
- Developing the Hridaya brand across all new and existing marketing materials.
- Submitting a status report to the Marketing Manager every Friday.
- Other tasks as required by changing organizational needs.
- Meditation and yoga practitioner (required), Hridaya Yoga experience (highly desirable).
- Related professional education and at least one year’s experience working with various graphic design applications.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English (required), proficiency in Spanish (highly desirable).
- Knowledge of industry standards for user-friendly graphic design (desirable).
- Aspiration for excellence and keen attention to detail.
- Active listening skills, the ability to ask the right questions to fully understand the needs of Hridaya Yoga and the willingness to ensure that designs align with these requirements.
- Proven ability to:
- Transform inspiration into visual concepts, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, attract, and captivate our audience.
- Work independently as well as in a team.
- Think critically, solve problems, and suggest creative solutions.
- Work in a structured yet flexible manner.
- Accurately estimate the time and resources required to complete projects, sticking closely to those deadlines.
- Manage multiple tasks and coordinate multiple activities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Humility, maturity, discernment.
- Openness to receiving constructive and ongoing feedback.
- Willingness to balance creativity with efficiency and selfless service, not being attached to outcomes and personal preferences.
- A spirit of service, the ability to step up and perform whatever task is necessary for the good of the whole.
- The ability to work effectively, flexibly, and lovingly in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- The ability to meet deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- Aspiration, the commitment to spiritual transformation.
- The ability to differentiate between supporting the work of Hridaya Yoga and personal objectives, in the spirit of selfless service.
- The yearning to be part of a blossoming spiritual community.
COMMITMENTS AND BENEFITS
The service period is for a minimum commitment of three cycles (15 weeks).
The Graphic Designer can expect to work 5 days per week, approximately 5 hours per day, and will be open to working additional hours
to support special events or when the need arises.
Please note that the Hridaya Yoga Center is a non-smoking and drug-free facility. We cannot accept volunteers with alcohol issues, who currently smoke (including tobacco and plant medicine) or use any form of recreational drug.
As a participant in the Hridaya Karma Yoga program, the Graphic Designer will receive the following benefits:
- Three communal meals Monday- Saturday.
- Accommodation in a dormitory bed or a tent either at our main school site or at our school property about 5 minutes walk away named Einstein, at no charge. If you stay onsite, then you will be required to observe the onsite guidelines, including observing silence during silent retreats and until 10am each morning.
- Karma Yogis are entitled to one free Hridaya Yoga Module in exchange for service of three cycles. The Yoga module is spread over three cycles, so you will have enough time to integrate, rest and serve in your Karma Yoga tasks at the same time. We ask for your flexibility in when you may attend classes, to accommodate the needs of your department. There is an expectation that you will attend module classes when service allows.
For clarity, if you have completed your module early within the service period you have two options:
- repeat the same module classes over the remainder of the service period at no additional cost; or
- progress to the next module provided you pay for that module as an ordinary student would.
- During the Karma Yoga Program, you will fully participate in one 10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat as a retreat participant. We ask for your flexibility as to when you may sit this retreat, to accommodate the needs of your department. Karma Yogis will typically sit this retreat in the second or third service cycle. You will also serve as a Karma Yogi in two other silent retreats. We commonly refer to time spent serving during retreats as the ‘Karma Yoga Retreat’. In the Karma Yoga Retreat, you will be immersed in the retreat environment and experience the best conditions for service by maintaining noble silence while serving at the Hridaya Yoga Center.
In addition to the commitments outlined above, Karma Yogis are also required to attend morning meditations from 7am-8am Monday to Saturday. Karma Yogis are also required to attend all Karma Yoga Heart Circles and Sangha Gatherings.
To apply, please send your résumé or CV, samples of your work, and a letter of intent describing how your skills align with the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.