Hridaya Yoga Mexico
What to Bring
Welcome to Paradise!
Mazunte is a tranquil place unlike many of the resort towns that have developed elsewhere along the Pacific Coast. It feels remote from the worries of the world, and is a great place to get away from it all.
This isolation means that there are no large supermarkets or shopping malls in town. Although you can find almost anything you need in Huatulco, Puerto Escondido, or Oaxaca, it is good to plan ahead to avoid the need to leave paradise just to get supplies.
What to Bring
We recommend packing the following:
- A flashlight
- Mosquito repellent
- A water bottle: The school has drinking water available for refills.
- A thermos: If you enjoy drinking tea during lectures, it is a good idea to bring a thermos, as mugs are not allowed in the halls.
- A yoga mat: Although the school has mats available for use, it is more hygienic to bring your own.
- A sarong or towel: If you decide to use one of our mats we ask that you cover it with your own sarong or towel. These are also great to bring to the beach!
- Electrical adapters: Mexican electricity is supplied at U.S.-standard 110 volts, 60 cycles, and U.S. devices work here without problem. Plugs and sockets are generally two-pronged, non-polar. You must bring adapters if you are going to use appliances with polar two-pronged or three-pronged plugs.
- A camera: Although film is available, it is desirable to use digital if possible.
- A computer (optional!): There are Internet cafes in town, with access to scanners, copiers, Skype, and other amenities available at a reasonable cost. (Please note that the use of computers and other electronic devices is not allowed during meditation retreats.)
- A hat
- Toiletries/medications: There is a small pharmacy in Mazunte, but it does not stock a large variety of goods. It is best to bring enough toiletries to last the duration of your stay.
- Shawl (for early morning meditations or to keep bugs away in the evenings)
- Earplugs (for use when meditating)
- Clothing: With an average temperature in Mazunte of 85 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius) you will want to bring clothing that is lightweight. Mazunte is very laid back, and most people wear very casual clothes. Loose-fitting, hand-washable, easy-to-dry clothes make for trouble-free Oaxacan Coast vacationing. Tank tops, t-shirts, skirts, shorts, blouses, pants, socks, and underwear will be perfect throughout the year in Mazunte.
Please note that there are no reliable ATM machines in Mazunte, so it is best to change money or use cash machines at the airport upon arrival.
When to Visit
The Hridaya Center is open year-round and each season has its beauty. There are two sharply defined seasons in Mazunte, the tropical/moist weather of summer and early fall, and the dry weather of winter and spring. In July, August, and September the increase in cloud cover can push the average daily temperatures below those of the very warm late April, May, and early June. The advantage of visiting in the summer/fall is the lush, green landscape. During the winter/spring you will experience the green and brown combination of dry landscape.