10-Day Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat Schedule
The daily Hridaya Silent Meditation Retreat schedule is split into two parts: a morning session (07:00-13:00) and an afternoon/evening session (16:00-21:30).
Hridaya Meditation for the Revelation of the Spiritual Heart, Atman. This meditation will begin in smaller segments (for example, with short hourly breaks), building to one continuous, deep meditation session.
Breakfast available in the Hridaya Yoga Center Dining Room.
09:45-11:00 Relevant lecture teaching.
11:00-12:30 Hatha Yoga.
Practice of techniques, especially those that facilitate the revelation of the Spiritual Heart: a simultaneous (class-like) group practice.
The revelation of the Spiritual Heart.
13:00-16:00 Lunch and rest.
Lunch available in the Hridaya Yoga Dining Room.
This meditation will begin in smaller segments (for example, with short hourly breaks), building to one continuous, deep meditation session.
18:30-19:30 Individual practice and Dinner.
Dinner available in the Hridaya Yoga Dining Room.
19:30-20:30 Question and Answer Session.
20:30-21:30 Spiritual discourse lecture and final evening meditation.
(may go later depending on number of questions)
A single, gentle bell-ring will mark the end of each meditation or other period, and will signal a short break. A series of bell tones will indicate that the next meditation or other period will begin within two minutes and that it is time to take your seat and cease movement in the hall. A final, single bell will signal the start of a new session. Please do not enter the hall after the final bell has rung.
Special Themes for Evening Meditations
Special meditation lecture topics will be explored every evening between 19:45 and 20:30.
Day 2: Spanda, the sacred tremor, and the Divine Mystery that is revealed by opening to the reality of the Divine Self, Atman
Day 3: The method of reabsorption of the “I” thought at its source (according to Ramana Maharshi’s revelation)
Day 4: The Prayer of the Heart (the fundamental method of the Fathers of the Desert)
Day 5: Exemplification of the four fundamental stages in the process of Self-revelation
Day 6: Complete surrender to the Supreme Reality of the Divine Self, Atman
Day 7: The Witness Consciousness and its role in the revelation of the Divine Self, Atman
Day 8: The Divine Love that pervades our entire being, through the revelation of the Divine Self, Atman
Day 9: The consciousness of Unity that is revealed through the expansion of sensory perceptions
Day 10: A special schedule will be held this evening that affords time for concluding remarks, open questions and answers, and an opportunity for retreat participants to share their spiritual experiences.
Retreat Techniques and Activities
All meditations and techniques are specifically intended to reveal the Spiritual Heart and to awaken the consciousness at this level. We will integrate advice for guided meditation, lectures, and practical techniques and methodologies in our retreat sessions, including:
- Ramana Maharshi’s atma vichara method of introspection (Who Am I?)
- Techniques to still the mind using breath control
- Study of the symbolism of the Spiritual Heart
- Methods of passing from individual consciousness to Cosmic Consciousness
- Methods of Self-centering in daily life
- A proper understanding of Advaita Vedanta’s fundamental tenets
- Hatha Yoga sessions in a special spiritual style
- Other Yogic methods that approach the issue of the Spiritual Heart
- Sacred poetry
- The four fundamental stages in the process of the revelation of the Spiritual Heart
- Advice for maintaining awareness in the Spiritual Heart in the tradition of the Fathers of the Desert (from Christianity)
- Daily special meditations on themes connected with Self-revelation
- The Christian method of the Prayer of the Heart